Sunday, November 15, 2015

Susanne Stewart's "On Longing"

"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."


When skydiving, the view of the Earth gave me so much perspective on how small we really are in the bigger picture. With every one of our senses we perceive the world in different ways, and skydiving utilized every sense to the fullest. 


"Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience." 


Melvin, my prized horse head is something that carried through my first year of college and brings back so many memories of our first experiences on our own. (I plan on walking across the stage on graduation with Melvin.) The champagne bottle is also a cherished possession, as we were celebrating my best friend's high school graduation- good riddens high school. 


"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the 3D into the miniature, which can be enveloped by the body." 


This photo is from one of my favorite destination spots, Costa Rica. We always peeled the Pilsen and Imperial labels off the bottles since the very first time I visited five years ago, and it is just a simple way to keep such great memories with me. 


"Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss."


Three years ago, I lost one of my best friends; our family dog Noah. A lot of times, we go through life so fast we forget to stop and appreciate what might be gone one day. I feel nostalgic our walks in the woods and runs on the beach since we lost our sweet Noah. 


"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy."


I know we didn't take the sea urchin with us, but we did take this photo to keep forever. My brother and I adventured the lands of Costa Rica and this small creature brings back such vivid memories of hiking, surfing, and the smell of molasses filling the dirt roads. 


"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated."


Wanderlust. Seeing the beauties and wonders of the unknown world gives me the craziest desire to travel as far and deep and high as I possibly can. 









No comments:

Post a Comment